Coronavirus in Pet Dogs and Cats
As all of you are already aware through the extensive news coverage of the outbreak of a new human Coronavirus disease in China that has now spread around the world, we want you to be aware of the Coronaviruses that infect our pets.
You need to know there is no evidence that the Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) has been spread to or can be spread by dogs or cats.
Three Known Coronaviruses in Pet Dogs
- Canine Enteric Virus causes diarrhea in pet dogs.
- Canine Respiratory Coronavirus is part of the “Kennel Cough” bronchitis complex of dogs.
- Canine Pantropic Coronavirus causes a more severe disease in dogs but appears to be confined to Europe.
Three Known Coronaviruses in Pet Cats
- Feline Enteric Coronavirus causes mild diarrhea in cats.
- Feline Infectious Peritonitis causes a very severe immune-mediated disease in cats which is usually fatal.
It is important for you to know that NONE of these Coronaviruses of pet dogs and cats causes any illness in humans. If you have any questions concerning these diseases please contact our office.